Crowthorne is a village and civil parish in the Bracknell Forest district of south-eastern Berkshire. It had a population of 6,711 at the 2001 census, increasing to 6,902 at the 2011 Census. Crowthorne is best known for Wellington College, a large co-educational boarding and day independent school, which opened in 1859, and for Broadmoor Hospital, one of three maximum security psychiatric hospitals in England, which lies on the eastern periphery of the town.
Crowthorne was only a small hamlet until Wellington College was opened in 1859 and Broadmoor Hospital in 1863. Crowthorne railway station, originally known as Wellington College for Crowthorne Station, was opened in 1860 and grew quickly. In the 1960s, the Transport Research Laboratory established by the UK Government as the Road Research Laboratory (RRL) opened in Crowthorne, and was privatised in 1996.